To properly utilize the Rapid Assessment Checklist the following steps should be performed:
- Collect all relevant information about the planned acquisition; items, quantities, quoted prices, Ts & Cs, maintenance practices, configuration required, services needed, etc. Ensure that the Customer/Technical Lead has documented that the software requested will meet customer requirements.
- Identify available contract vehicles and terms included in the applicable contracts
- Determine if there is a DoD ESI or SmartBUY Contract for the items required. If yes, leverage it, the applicable Ordering Guide and the Software Buyer’s Checklist. Contact the ESI Software Product Manager (SPM) or Contracting Officer (KO) for support and guidance in using the ESI ordering vehicles.
- If not, determine if there is a GSA Schedule 70 contract for the items.
- Use the Best Value Terms and Conditions Guide if no contract exists, or to ensure the Ts & Cs you need are covered by an existing contract.
- As available, review industry literature or benchmark data to determine standard pricing, Ts & Cs, and TCO of the item(s) to be acquired.
- Compare existing information, quote, etc. to existing contracts (if applicable). Ensure the Ts & Cs and prices are at least as favorable as the existing contract.
- Review the Proposed Deal Points Checklist, establishing your initial cut at how you intend to structure the acquisition.
- Review the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Elements List. Complete the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Workbook. Analyze the entire deal, alternative offers, and alternative issues using the TCO framework, especially focusing on future services (Maintenance, etc.) and configuration requirements.
- Review the Best Value Price Factors Guide and incorporate this information into the negotiation strategy to see if you can exert any leverage during negotiations to obtain a better price. Establish the Negotiations strategy, using the Negotiation Position/Strategy Outline as a framework for ensuring all issues are addressed. Use the TCO Workbook to track financial trade-offs for the Life-cycle of the program.
- Negotiate to your Best Value target and award a contract, knowing that you obtained Best Value given the reactive scenario under which you were placed.